On 9th June 2016, the Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers hosted the Masters and Clerks of seven Companies associated with Construction to Luncheon at Pewterers’ Hall, the home of the Worshipful Company of Pewters.
The Worshipful Company of Pewterers is one of the older Livery Companies in the City of London. It is number 16 in the order of civic precedence among over a hundred companies. The earliest documented reference to it is in the records of the Corporation dated 1348 when the “goodfolk, makers of vessels of pewter” came before the Mayor and Aldermen asking for approval of the Articles which they had drawn up for the regulation of the trade.
Those Companies represented were Chartered Architects, Builders Merchants, Carpenters, Constructors, Masons, Painters, Paviors, Plaisterers and Chartered Surveyors
Guests enjoyed pre-lunch drinks in the Court Room before lunching in the oak panelled Livery Hall.
The Junior Liveryman proposed the Toast to the Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers and Good Health to Master, which was greeted with great approbation.
The Master responded and proposed the Toast to our guests, with plenty of gusto and related to the strong association enjoyed between Masters and Clerks of the Companies here present.
Responding on behalf of the guests, The Sheriff, Dr Christine Rigden, gave an illuminating speech on the role of Sheriff, culminating in research she had carried out into the possible family connection of all the Masters present on the day. The guests were fascinated to learn of past misdemeanours of their namesakes and shuddered at the severity of the sentences passed down, for what today would pass as minor misdemeanours.
At the Court meeting held earlier in the morning, The Master was pleased to install Miss Clare Banks, Mr Ian Wilson, Mr Andy Mather and Mr Charles Bird as Freemen of the Company, pictured here
Mrs Phyl Cook and Dr Gerard Lynch were installed as Liverymen and are pictured here.