Members of the Tylers and Bricklayers Livery visited the Clockmakers Company Museum in London on 3 November 2011.
The Clockmakers Company dates back to 1631, when Charles 1 granted their charter (at a reported cost of £140). Before this Clockmakers were members of a number of livery companies, though principally the blacksmiths company, who were opposed to the formation of an independent clockmakers company, and had successfully opposed the idea in 1620.
Around 200 years later, the Clockmakers library was started at the instigation of Benjamin Vulliamy, and shortly afterwards a collection of old clocks and watches started to be assembled. At that time it would be common for old clocks and wathes to be part-exchanged, and some of the finest were saved from being recycled and added to the collection.
A select group of livery and guests were treated to a guided tour of the museum by the keeper – they were kept enthralled for over two hours with the history of the making of clocks and watches in London, with highlights including a clock by Thomas Tompion and John Harrison's fifth chronometer.